Thursday, March 20, 2008

Rudolf Steiner and I

I'm taking a little time out from the interviews and other reviews I'm posting because I just found out I'm now included in the International List of Famous Waldorf Alumni for my work as an artist and writer.

This would stem from my attendance of the Rudolf Steiner School in Ann Arbor, Michigan during the mid-1980s until 1988 when I began attending the Saline Public High School.

The Waldorf education system was developed by the European intellectual Rudolf Steiner in the early 20th Century. There are so many ideas embedded into his system, but among those that stand out to many educators today are the principles of theme-based education, block scheduling, and teaching to different learning styles.

As I understand it, I was part of the first class to graduate from the Ann Arbor school.

At a personal level, some of my deepest friendships continue with my fellow alumni to this day, and many of the ideas I learned from my teachers, such as the dear Ruth Nilsson, continue to resonate within my art and writing.

I can see compelling arguments made that my years here were among the most formative on my worldview. But I'll leave that for others to debate.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled posts and contemplations of miscellany!

2 comments:

Bryan Thao Worra said...

A great quote by Rudolf Steiner:
“We shouldn’t ask: what does a person need to know or be able to do in order to fit into the existing social order? Instead we should ask: what lives in each human being and what can be developed in him or her? Only then will it be possible to direct the new qualities of each emerging generation into society. The society will become what young people, as whole human beings, make out of the existing social conditions. The new generation should not just be made to be what the present society wants it to become.”

Die Bachblüten Praxis: BFRP Patricia Reeve-De Becker said...

Found your blog - a bit late . Yes, I agree, a geat quote.
Can you tell us where it is from?
Steiner wrote so much!
many thanks
Patricia (Germany)