Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Coming soon: Sadako vs. Kayako


I'd be remiss if I didn't include a nod to the trailer making the roudns lately for the Japanese horror film Sadako vs. Kayako, or The Ring vs. The Grudge (or Ringu vs. Ju-On). While I think there's a very high chance this is going to be utter garbage in comparison to its predecessors, I still have to applaud the wonderfully ludicrous premise that somehow Japanese students make the mistake of playing the Ringu tape in the Ju-On house. "What could possibly go wro..."

I'm still of the mindset that you'd think the Ringu curse would be connected to a DVD or something more ring-like than the spools of a VHS tape. It seemed unlikely then, and almost tragic now, in 2016, that her curse is still tied to that format, or that somehow, we haven't run into the problem of someone uploading it to Youtube or Vimeo. Or... well, I'm giving this way too much thought.

Who are you rooting for in this match-up? And how would you improve upon it? (Personally, I'd have made it a three-way fight with the horror film Uzumaki, aka Spiral to keep things really trippy.)

No comments: